Saturday, January 5, 2008

September 9, 2007

Appropos of nothing, I had to share with you all a transcendent meal that I had at the Red Hook Ball Fields in Brooklyn yesterday. Naturally, we had the incredible huaraches con queso - stupendous -- and a huge cup of hibiscus drink (my first and a revelation), but on a whim, as we were leaving I stopped at the fruit stand near the entrance and got a baggie of sliced mango for $2.00. I requested it with chilli powder as I have seen others do, but watched in awe as the woman added salt, lime juice, and chilli poweder to my mango. Fifteen seconds later, I was eating what must be food of the gods. I have never tasted anything like this before. It was the alchemy of these four humble ingredients put together that made the experience absolutely magic. Sweet, tart, spicey, and salty in once silken bite. That is a flavor experience I will dream about for years to come....

No comments: