Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Life of Pi

So, when one is working on the EZ Pi Shawl, it is so easy to get carried away with oneself when attempting to title one's blog post. For instance, "Slice of Pi," "Would You Like Some Pi With That?" and "How Do You Like Your Pi?" come to mind. But forget I said anything at all and let's just get into it, shall we?

I'd mentioned in a previous post that my Elizabeth Zimmerman obsession persists in earnest with my desire to make a Pi Shawl from the Knitter's Almanac.

And so I started it.

And started it.

And started it.

And started it.

Each time, I failed miserably, hopelessly unable to get past the part where you are supposed to engage with the dreaded Double Pointed Needles (which are clearly the work of all that is unholy and vexing). Part of it, too, was my stupid insistence on using a yarn far too fine for the likes of me. Until a (fluorescent and energy-efficient) bulb went off in my head and I realized that I have some cheap-ass Smiley's yarn that they practically paid me to take away that is light enough to create the ethereal shawl of my dreams while still allowing me to maintain a semblance of control over the project. That, and my new-found skill of using the Magic Loop technique with my circular needles helped me along.

Problem solved.

And so I zipped along in a blissful haze, not realizing the extra stitch in some early row had caused a rather unsightly hole. And I couldn't fix it. And I didn't even notice it until until I realized my count was irretrievably off in the lace section because of that nasty extra stitch. And every time I tried to adjust the stitch number, like quicksand, I seemed to get deeper and deeper in the Pi hole (see what I mean?).

And so, I unknitted.

And unknitted.

And unknitted.

ad nauseum.

I had fully expected to proudly show you all just how smarty-boots I had become. I imagined your collective breath drawing in sharply in astonishment (and even, perhaps, with a little envy).

So here I sit, egg on my face, with naught but a miniature and embryonic Pi to show for days of trial, blood, sweat, and tears.

But it is still my Pi, and given the newness of it all, I am still a little proud, a little boastful about having gotten THIS far.

Of course, I will update you on my progress until I get bored and find something else to leave incomplete.

Before I sign off, I have to ask a serious favor of you. A very dear friend of mine just found out that he must have heart bypass surgery. He is, understandably, completely freaked out. Now, as some of you know, I am not exactly what anyone would call "religious." And if you know me well, you will know that my previous sentence was an understatement. However, my dear friend is quite spiritual indeed, and I have noticed that he is getting more religious as the years pass. So here is my favor: If you are religious, please pray for my friend. He believes in the power of it, and I think he will draw a lot of comfort knowing that the troops have been rallied on his behalf. I will support him in whatever way I can, but if you could just add this one thing to your list, it would be appreciated more than I could ever say.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Crafty Christina said...

Since I have a child named Pi, your Pi jokes had me laughing alot. It looks like you've got your Pi down pat.

I'll pray for your friend and light a candle next Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'll have a little discussion with my higher power about sending good vibes your friend's way.

That's about as spiritual as I get.

Oh and.... DORK! with a side a Pi!