Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Spring!


It's been a lovely weekend here in Brooklyn with signs of Spring smacking you from every which-way, as it happens. The sun's staying up later, taking its damn time going to bed, but here in our house we are already in our jim-jams and sipping Tuscan wine, hoping to stretch the evening out as long as possible. Think of it as mentally dragging our feet along the sidewalk to slow down the bike's inevitable ride to the end of the street (or Monday, as it is known to the rest of the world).

Sigh.

But I spent yesterday doing Spring-y things, like clearing the dead leaves out of my wee garden, letting the lovely crocuses get the light they seek to survive and cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom, as it were.

Another weekend, another loaf of seedless rye bread. Nah, I won't bore you with photos. Another weekend not finishing the friggin' Pi Shawl, which has thoroughly whipped my ass. But it's given me an excellent excuse to continue on my fancy-ass shawl.

And start on a new knitting project, Wrenna from French Girl Knits, a totally cute short-sleeved sweater.

Which has also given me some problems, truth be told. But beloved ravelry has come to my rescue and helped interpret the directions for this newbie knitter. I'll be honest, at first I was really pissed off when I read post after post calling this the easiest damn thing they'd ever made. I believe my response was "go forth and multiply," but not in those words. But there were a few brave souls who came forth and bitched about the VERY SAME ROWS that were giving me problems, so I felt better about the whole unpleasantness.

Anywho.

So, I was going through some crapola in my workroom (aka woefully disorganized dumping ground) and I came across some stuff I'd made. I thought you'd like to see some of it...

This is a totally weird handpuppet I made a long time ago. I think he's so cute with his vintage button eyes...
This HOIR is a punch-needle embroidery thing I made. HOIR is the acronym for "House of Ill-Repute," my performance art series that I'd hosted first at Theatre Club Funambules on Ludlow Street, then at the original (and ironical) Knitting Factory on Houston Street. Ah, the old days...


And this little guy is based on a Matt Groening character from Life in Hell...
And no trip to the past would be complete without some Irish Crochet...Ah, the past...

Finally, I was poking around on the internet looking for fun or interesting stuff, and I found this - an online book on knitting that promises to be very useful, indeed. I hope you find it useful, too.

That's all for this week. Till next time, friends!


1 comment:

Crafty Christina said...

Yay for spring, even if it is only about 40 degrees without the wind. :)

You've led quite the eclectic crafty life. I always like going back in time and looking at old things I've made. It shows how your skills have eveolved, plus brings up old memories.