Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crochet Time

I can't help but notice that several of my last posts have not been about crochet. Funny, that. What with this being a crochet blog and all. Whatever.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been hooking, no siree bob! Here are a couple of projects I've been working on in my less-than-spare time:

Remember that manchette I yapped about a while back? Well, I actually started making it in red cotton thread. Go figure. The picture is not great, I know, but you get the idea.

I also am nearing completion on everyone's favorite Chanson en Crochet. See?

I think I only screwed it up a little bit by falling off the count, but it's been an interesting challenge to recalculate the pattern every other row to accommodate my self-inflicted mess.
Oh, you want a close-up? Okay:
There's more, but I want to tell you about what I did yesterday in celebration of my show opening the prior night sans major screw-up. The Brit and I hauled ass to my beloved Coney Island to see the world-famous Mermaid Parade. This year, we viewed it from the boardwalk, a much better spot than our usual street vantage point. If you click on the photo to the right of this post, it'll take you to a bunch of photos from the festivities.

Is it just me, or does this shot remind anyone of the Coral Reef Project? I'm just sayin'.

As I've said before in this blog, I am not a religious person in any way, shape or form, but I approach that fervor when it comes to the Mermaid Parade. It's founder, Dick Zigun, is an amazing guy (and Yale School o' Drama grad, no less), who is also responsible for the Freak Show and Coney Island USA. Here's a link to his site, in case you're interested: http://www.coneyisland.com/.

Little-known fact alert! Your SubwayHooker used to dance in a GoGo show at Sideshows by the Seashore when she was younger, cuter, and thinner! Yes she did! It was called Wildgirl's GoGoRama and it ROCKED!

So you know, Coney Island is under serious threat of being turned into an "entertainment mall" by evil real estate developers. To my mind, Coney is one of the few genuinely democratic places left in NY -- a grungy, fabulous amusement area that is free for anyone to roam through, walk on the boardwalk, or dip a toe in the ocean. It would be sad beyond belief if this were to be lost to luxury condos, franchises, and chains. Dick's site has loads of info on how we can all help stop the ravages of under-thought overdevelopment of one of the last real places in New York. Bloomberg's gonna hear from me, I can tell you that!



2 comments:

Crafty Christina said...

The manchette looks great so far and so does the Chanson en Crochet. No one would ever know you'd messed up the count...it looks perfect.

I love love love Coney Island, grungy and funky, just the way it is. If it turns into a big condo-land, I'm going to be sad. One thing I love about being in Brooklyn is that Coney Island is just a half hour away by subway...grab the kid, the cooler, and some sunblock and we're entertained for hours. A go-go dancer! Wow, you wild child you...that rocks! And yep, that pic looks sort of like jellyfish with legs. :)

Anonymous said...

A go-go dancer? Hmmm... this I did not know. Photographic proof may be needed!