Sunday, June 7, 2009

The New Additions (A Yarnless Discussion)

So yesterday the Brit and I went to an adoption event in the nabe which included animals from both North Shore Animal League (a no-kill facility) and Animal Control (a kill 'em quick facility). I've been without pussies for a while, ever since the death of my beloved Spunky about 4 years ago, and have been pestering the Brit for some fresh kitties for the house.

Now all playing aside, I am a very firm believer in getting shelter animals ONLY. In fact, I am incredibly judgmental about those who purchase animals from a pet shop and even more so from a breeder. I believe breeders should be put out of business, full stop. Seriously. I know there are ethical ones out there, I guess, but the whole concept of breeding leaves me very cold, indeed. That breeds can be virtually obliterated by breeders catering to an audience favoring "fad" animals is apalling to me. It's happened before and will happen again.

But I digress.

So we are at this adoption event and one of the workers tells the crowd, "The animals in the bus will be killed tonight. Please adopt them first. The animals in the church basement will be fine." So we look at the animals on the bus, of course.

And we see the two little guys above, as yet unnamed. The tortie is the girl, the marmalade is the boy. They are two months old and were found on Tuesday on 38th St. in Sunset Park by Animal Control. They were snoozing and wrapped around each other like stuffed toys with velcro on their paws and I kind fell for them immediately. I'm sure this was aided by the notion that they'd be landfill by morning if we didn't take them, but there ya go.

Anyway, these little guys are so beautiful, so small. I am thrilled that our small action prevented the destruction of their lives and will give them the chance to grow and thrive over the next, what, 15 years.

So I'm ending this with a plea to all of you - please get your pets from shelters, not from breeders. So many animal lives are needlessly put down. Please think twice before you buy a pet. And please, spay or neuter the pets you have to prevent the crazy number of unwanted dogs and cats in this country.

Boy and Girl will have long and happy lives with us. They will be well-fed and very loved. They will not have to face a harsh winter or suffer the abuses of the heartless. But in all honesty, I feel like we are the lucky ones to have found these wonderful little critters with whom we will share our lives.

2 comments:

Crafty Christina said...

Congrats on the new kitties! My family has always been big animal lovers, and cats were always my favortie. I haven't had a cat since I moved out back in 1999 though because all the apartments seem to have no pet policies. I'm so glad you were able to save those adorable babies and I totally agree with you on getting shelter animals.

Danielle said...

OH MY GOD, YOU GOT KITTIES! YAY! I can't believe you didn't tell me!

They are adorable!